// small. POWERFUL. //
Partnering with PEN America and Poets & Writers to offer the best platform for new writers.
“Notice the small things. The rewards are inversely proportional.”
We’ve partnered with PEN America and Poets & Writers for our flash fiction contest. The winner will receive $2000, publication on PEN America’s site, and recognition in Poets & Writers Magazine.
Our love of flash fiction runs deep. And throughout our six years of reading work by emerging writers we’ve seen some incredible pieces of small and powerful fiction, but we’ve never hosted a call for flash. So here it is: a home for your very best small fiction. Send us big worlds in tiny packages, large ideas with a low word count. Dazzle us with your best fiction under 1000 words.
- Winner receives $2000, publication on PEN America (later reprinted in The Masters Review), and recognition in Poets & Writers Magazine
- Second and third place prizes ($200/$100, publication in The Masters Review, and recognition in Poets & Writers)
- Stories under 1000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions allowed
- Emerging writers only (We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit.)
- International submissions allowed
- $20 entry fee allows for up to two stories
- Deadline: May 31, 2017
- Please no identifying information on your story
- All stories are considered for publication (pays $0.10/word up to $100)
To submit a story click the submit button:
Winners and honorable mentions will be announced in early summer. The winning writer will be awarded $2000 and publication on PEN America’s website and then later reprinted in The Masters Review for our archive. Second and third place will be awarded $200 and $100, respectively, as well as publication in The Masters Review. All stories submitted will be considered for publication. It is very common for us to accept additional work.
We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction and are looking for stories that dazzle us, take chances, are bold — and do so by focusing on more than plot. Flash is special. It allows you to be creative with timeline, voice, and perspective. Dazzle us!
We purchase first serial rights for three months after publication, at which point all rights revert back to the author. Any reprints during that time are welcome, we simply ask for permission and acknowledgement.