Mark your calendars and polish your work, here are seven short story contests with deadlines this month.
– Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival Fiction Contest: Publication and $1500 is awarded to the best piece of short fiction less than 7000 words. Winner will also be awarded an all expense paid trip to the festival. Full details at http://www.tennesseewilliams.net/contests Entry fee: $25, DUE DATE: Nov, 15.
– Writer’s Digest Short Story Competition: $3000 is awarded to the first place writer for a short story of no more than 1500 words. First place winner is also provided with an all expense paid trip to the Writer’s Digest Conference in New York City. Second place is awarded $1500. Both stories will be published in Writer’s Digest. Full details at: http://www.writersdigest.com/competitions Entry fee: $20, DUE DATE: Nov, 15.
– New Millennium Awards: Four prizes of $1,000 each and publication in New Millennium Writings are given for a poem; a work of fiction; a work of short short fiction; and a work of nonfiction, including creative nonfiction. All works must be previously unpublished or to have appeared in a print publication with circulation of less than 5000. Word counts vary. See website for full details: http://www.newmillenniumwritings.com Entry fee: $20, DUE DATE: Nov, 17
– Glimmer Train Short Story Award for New Writers: $1500 and publication is awarded to the best short story written by an author who has not yet earned publication in a journal with circulation over 5000 copies. Submit up to 12000 words. Full details at: http://www.glimmertrain.org Entry fee: $15, DUE DATE: Nov, 30
– Narrative Magazine Fall Story Contest: Cash prizes awarded to first and second place writers for prose up to 15000 words. All entries are considered for publication. Full details here: http://www.narrativemagazine.com Entry fee: $22, DUE DATE: Nov, 30
– Late Night Library Virgin Awards: Nine awards totalling $1800 are given to writers who have not published a book-length project. 5000 word max, several categories. Full details here: http://latenightlibrary.org/category/contests/ Entry fee: $10, DUE DATE: Nov, 30
– Pushcart Press – Editor’s Book Award: $1,000 is awarded for a fiction or creative nonfiction manuscript that has been submitted to but not accepted by a commercial publisher. The award aims to recognize talent overlooked by publishing conglomerates. Full details at www.pushcartpress.org. No entry fee. DUE DATE: Nov, 15.