For the next ten days, The Masters Review will be accepting submissions of previously published prose. Any work published before June 1, 2022 is eligible for this prize! One winner will receive a $500 cash prize, in addition to online publication. The winner of this challenge will be selected by TMR‘s team of editors. Find the all the details below, or on our challenge page!
For the first time ever, The Masters Review is looking for previously published work! For ten days in June, our first Reprint Prize will be open for submissions. Any fiction or creative nonfiction under 6,000 words published prior to June 1, 2022 is eligible! Got a story or essay close to your heart that you want to revive interest in? This is the challenge for you. Or maybe the journal is no longer online, or no longer in print—The Masters Review is offering your work a new home. As always, there are no limitations on style or topic, but our primary interest is in literary prose. This challenge will be judged by our editorial staff, who will select one winner to receive a $500 prize and publication on our site.
The Reprint Prize will be open from June 15 to June 25, 2023.
- Winner receives $500 and online publication.
- Submissions must be under 6,000 words.
- Submitted work must be previously published. Unpublished work will be disqualified. In your cover letter, please indicate when and where your submission has been published.
- Work published in a single-author collection is not eligible for this prize, but work collected in a multiauthor anthology may be submitted. (Note: If the work is included in a collection under contract for 2024 or beyond, it is eligible, provided it meets our other requirements.)
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions are allowed, though each submission requires a $10 entry fee.
- This challenge is for emerging writers only. Writers with single-author book-length work published or under contract with a major press are ineligible. We are interested in providing a platform to new writers; authors with books published by indie presses and self-published authors are welcome to submit their previously published work.
- Former TMR contributors are welcome to submit work published elsewhere. Work previously published by TMR, including New Voices, the Anthology, or one of our contests, is not eligible for this prize.
- International submissions are allowed, provided the work is written primarily in English.
- All submissions must be double-spaced with one-inch page margins and use Times New Roman or Garamond.
- The challenge deadline is 11:59pm PT on June 25, 2023.
- We do not require blind submissions for this contest. The winner will be selected by The Masters Review’s editorial staff.
- All submissions will receive a response by the end of September, and the winner will be announced by the end of October. If we are unable to meet this timeline, we will notify all submitters of the extension.
- Friends, family, and associates of The Masters Review’s editorial staff are not eligible to submit.
- A significant portion of the editorial letter fee goes to your feedback editor.